Contract Seed Production Opportunities
Contract Opportunities for Growers
Spring Oilseed Rape
Seedtech has attractive contracts for growing SOSR for seed export in 2021
Seedtech has pioneered rapeseed production for export and is looking to widen their grower base to meet current demand from international customers.
If you are looking to add value and get the benefits of a combinable break crop, Seedtech has attractive contracts for growing SOSR for seed export in 2021.
Spring Oilseed Rape (SOSR) is well known for its benefits as a combinable breakcrop, improving following cereal crop yields by over a half-ton per acre.
Growers with suitable land can expect to achieve over twice the margin than growing OSR for the commodity feed market, as field choice is crucial for the successful production of the crop.
SOSR seed contracts comprise of a fixed grain payment of €450/t at 9% MC, a land payment of €200/ac and a final seed bonus of €450/t (once the seed is passed and certified). Typical yields of 0.6 t/ac would return a revenue of €760/ac to growers. Standard growing costs (incl. materials and hire of all machinery) are €450/ac, leaving growers a margin of €310/ac.
Selection Criteria Includes:
- Land should not have grown OSR previously or cover crops with brassica species.
- A minimum isolation distance of 1km or greater from all winter & spring OSR crops
- Ideally free of Volunteer Rape, Charlock, Wild Mustard, Wild turnip, and Wild Radish
- Ideally low levels of Wild Oats but these can be well controlled in crops with graminicides
- Ideally no potatoes, beet, or root crops for five years before seed rape
- Minimum field size of 20 acres required
- A conscientious grower with attention to detail is important
- No experience growing OSR necessary as Seedtech staff provide detailed advice.
- Any grower interested in finding out more about Spring Oilseed Rape Seed Production contracts can contact Seedtech Production Manager Dan Norris on 087 7915920 to discuss.
Any grower interested in finding out more about Spring Oilseed Rape Production contracts can contact Seedtech’s Seedtech Production Manager Dan Norris on 087 7915920 to discuss.
For more information on contract seed production, please see here Contract Seed Production | Seed Technology
Seedtech, part of the Arvum Group, is a leading research and wholesale seed company in Ireland, distributing through the Irish Agri-retail trade. Seedtech produces a wide range of seeds in Ireland for different customers and uses and are one of the leading producers of commercial-grade cereal seed in Ireland. Through an extensive variety selection system using genetic material from all over the world, Seedtech continuously brings new, enhanced varieties to the Irish market.
Husky Winter Oat - A reliable oat in winter
Winter crops took a savage beating from the weather over the...Read More
Hybrid Rye is a viable option to consider for Tillage Farmers in 2020
Over the past 4 years, Seedtech have been supporting farmers...Read More
Early PGR for Hybrid Barley goes a long way
As spring growth begins in earnest (after the vernal equinox),...Read More
An Advisors insight into Hybrid Barley Agronomy
After a very hard winter, we speak with James Hickey, Glanbia...Read More
Across Muir Éireann
As we start the second decade of the 21stcentury, the...Read More