Spring Drilling Of Graham Winter Wheat from Seedtech
If we get a nice settled period in Dec-Jan, growers may need information on drilling GRAHAM winter wheat.
Some points to note when drilling GRAHAM in spring:
- GRAHAM can be safely drilled until end January based on its vernalisation requirement (7 weeks).
- GRAHAM maintains its relative superiority when drilled late (View table below, Syngenta UK trials 2017 & 2018; DD1 is September, DD2 is October, DD3 is November).
- DAFM drilled a winter wheat trial on 25th Feb 2013 with a control yield of 3.8 t/ac. EINSTEIN was a control in 2013 and it was like GRAHAM in its stem extension growth and grain fill. The best spring wheat DAFM trial 2013 yielded 3.9 t/ac.
- Teagasc will be recommending spring drilling of winter wheat varieties at their spring seminars and in their newsletters.
- All winter wheat varieties drilled from 1st Jan 2020 are counted as ‘spring wheat’ for the 2/3 crop rule calculation.
- Consult your Agronomist if you have any queries.
Farmers are switching to Hybrid Barley for yields, profitability and returns
Just as the property market depends on location, tillage...
Belfry & Bazooka acreage set to increase 40% this year with Seedtech
As the barn doors close on the winter barley harvest 2019,...Read More
View ISTA’s latest video on processing seed
What is the process that ISTA certified seed goes through?... Read More
Hybrid Barley Husbandry Advice & Videos
Last year, it was the ‘Beast from the East’, this year we are...Read More
Spring Oilseed Rape Contract Opportunities for Growers
Although a niche crop, Spring Oilseed Rape is well known for...Read More