Spring Oilseed Rape Contract Opportunities for Growers
Spring Oilseed Rape Contracts
Although a niche crop, Spring Oilseed Rape is well known for its benefits as a combinable breakcrop; improving following cereal crop yields by over a half ton per acre. However, if growers are looking to add value and get the benefits of a combinable break crop, Seedtech have attractive Spring Oilseed Rape growing contracts for seed export in 2019. Having pioneered rapeseed production for export, Seedtech are looking to widen their grower base to meet current demand from international customers.
Field choice is crucial for the successful production of the crop so growers with suitable land can expect to achieve over twice the margin than growing Oilseed Rape for the commodity feed market. Spring Oilseed Rape seed contracts comprise of a fixed grain payment of €450/t at 9% MC, a land payment of €202/ac and a final seed bonus of €500/t (once seed is certified). Typical yields of 0.6 t/ac would return a revenue of €772/ac to growers. Typical growing costs (incl. materials and hire of all machinery) are €450/ac, leaving growers a margin of €322/ac.
Selection Criteria Includes:
- Land should not have grown OSR previously
- A minimum isolation distance of 1km or greater from all winter & spring OSR crops
- Ideally free of Volunteer Rape, Charlock, Wild Mustard, Wild turnip and Wild Radish.
- Ideally low levels of Wild Oats but can be well controlled in crops with graminicides
- Ideally no potatoes, beet or root crops for 5 years previous to seed rape
- Minimum field size of 20 acres required
- Conscientious growers with an attention to detail is important
- No experience growing OSR necessary
Any grower interested in finding out more about Spring Oilseed Rape production contracts can contact Seedtech on 051-832 814.
Farmers are switching to Hybrid Barley for yields, profitability and returns
Just as the property market depends on location, tillage...
Belfry & Bazooka acreage set to increase 40% this year with Seedtech
As the barn doors close on the winter barley harvest 2019,...Read More
View ISTA’s latest video on processing seed
What is the process that ISTA certified seed goes through?... Read More